PASGT Helmet Face Lift

I’ll be wearing the venerable PASGT helmet for 9 days this upcoming March. I’ll have the possibility of all night and overnight missions during which I’ll be using night vision goggles so comfort is very important to me. I’m well aware that the PASGT helmet as issued was known for sliding fore and aft with movement, so I also wanted to stabilize it.

The first step after my helmet arrived wasphoto 1 to remove the suspension and chin strap. I tossed them into the spare parts bin and trash respectively and looked over the helmet. Some of the mounting hardware had rust on it, and there were several places where the outer green shell of the helmet had worn away. This was especially bad on the brim of the helmet. I scraped away as much rust as I could from the hardware and gave them a fresh coat of black paint to prevent more from forming. I then sanded down the edges of the areas of the helmet shell that were missing to prevent them from catching on things and ripping an even larger hole.

photo 2Next, I installed some adhesive backed Velcro to the inside of the helmet along with the PASGT upgrade pads. These were issued to make the helmet more comfortable and are the same as the ACH helmet pads. These stick to the Velcro very well and do not move around.

From here I moved on to suspension. I acquired a 3 point suspension system which I am told was issued to pasgt suspension0001paratroopers. It looks and feels very similar to the 4 point suspension seen in the ACH helmet. The instructions I used to install the suspension are seen to the left, and you can click for a lager image.

I then installed an M-81 woodland helmet cover by attaching the helmet cover straps to the back of the helmet pads. I covered this with a 3/4″ netting I purchased at a local surplus store but I could have easily used a USGI camouflage net instead. I sewed the perimeter of the netting pieces to the cover and then covered each stitch with hot glue. I then hot glued several other points according to the method described in GhillieArnham’s Ghillie Suit Tutorial video.

photo 3photo 4

At this point I installed my Rhino night vision mount and helmet band. I then began adding scrim to break up the outline of my helmet. The scrim is mostly strips cut from old BDUs, and a pair of worn out tan pants but there are some some burlap strands mixed in as well. My last step will be to drag the scrim through the mud for awhile, let it dry and brush off the chunks. That will dull the colors slightly and give them that aged, dirty look that blends so well. I will add natural camouflage to the helmet once I get to the OP to complete the effect by stuffing it in the netting or under the helmet band.